Happy Summer!

Written and photographed
  • by
  • Vhincci Subia
  • Labeled as , , , , , ,
  • In what was like summer to me in my past 20 years of existence.



    Once upon a time, there were two persons running in a rock-strewn trail called love. They were young, innocent and playful; they lighted and ignited this inextinguishable torch during their high school days. Bound with their endless amity, they got to outlive their promises to one another. Until college, the smoldering fire still kept on frolicking with their feelings and emotions. Then it was after their graduation when a sumptuous firework was set up to engender a new coal – a raging character that will outshine the stars and reign the World of Vhincci.

    The crowing call of the cocks awakened my mother. Then the morning dews of April met early workers. And now the glittering rays of the sun touched my face… summer is here and I need to rise from bed and start to squeeze a succulent and pulpy day!

    The warmth just whipped me up to have my ice candy which I made last night. I dragged a chair to lift me and open the freezer.  I let my hand to rummage in that freezing, refreshing, smoky waves. I love the feeling when these move down to my alveoli. It was so addicting! Then I found out, mom hid it so I can eat first my breakfast. Wooooooh! An untimely war between a child and a mother just set in. I begged earnestly. Counted my medals and enumerated all my awards to the recent graduation. And rationally told her, “You owe me not just ice candy but also halo-halo, shakes, smoothies, juice and a galloon of ice cream – Double Dutch, my favorite,” while flaunting an innocent and irresistible face.

    After eating my breakfast and taking a bath, is a long day of mangga-manga, (a running game), kudkudisi (a stick game), Chinese garter or 10-20 (a rubber band game), baseball,  bawang base, patintero, hide-and-seek, tumbang preso and a lot more of Pinoy games with the boys and girls of Purok Rang-ay. My father would then invite me after, to go to the river, and have my grimy extremities cleaned. What is more interesting now is feeling the husky air opposite our direction and viewing the strong orange radiance of the late afternoon sun while I'm up in a motorcyle driven by my father... hmmm... inspiring!


    Yes! These were all my routine experiences, growing up in the province, during summer vacations... Just a little frustration on my part when I didn’t learn earlier how to ride a bicycle. I didn’t know how to balance, not until… the summer after graduation in the elementary. It was indeed a fulfilling know-how. And days to count, I progressed. I can now drive a scooter. It feels like an achievement to me more than being a Salutatorian.

    It was also summer of the same year when my father dared me for a new hair cut and I adventurously tried it. Semi-skinhead! Or grossly known as, kalbo. My previous teachers were shocked. My classmates laughed at me. I swore not to have it ever again. 

    Unplanned get-aways also excite me during summer. From simple picnics to only-wash-the-car-in-the-nearby-river moments. These were the time I craved of fresh, smaller in size, shrimps. I've always wanted to catch a few using my bare hands - but it's too hard so I just let dad to gather for me. He will just savor it with a sprinkle of salt, a bit of vinegar, and chili. Hmmmm. Yummy. And not to forget rice anyway. Then. Jokes. Laugh trip. Around. I know, money cannot buy all of these.

    The months of April and May are indeed exciting to me, for us, in the province. We have this insect, edible, called abal-abal that we gather in a lowland forest. Late afternoon, we try to locate them on land. We dig a little in the surface of the soil. Trial and error. And early night, these flying insects go out of their places  and start to freely enjoy circling the airwaves as we noisily and crazily catch and run after them through our sword – trunks and branches of trees with leaves. They are attracted to vinegar anyway. So we always bring vinegar-soaked leaves or a bark of the trunk of a banana to magnetize them in a certain area. Tired after, but it was really fun...



    But this! One upsetting event! I just suffered from an accident in the river and had my one front tooth cracked one time in my early high school days. Not because of a terrible situation that would endanger my life but because of a simple guava fruit that we are attempting to catch from a friend at a higher altitude while us, in the water. Isn't it crazy? Well, it’s ok now, it was fixed after a year.

    Also in high school… aside from usual summer activities, I was dispirited with all the cleaning schedule in school. We have to water the plants so they won’t dry for the opening of classes. They try to manipulate us. They say… they will hold our clearances if not to comply. And frighten me… I should be responsible for I am the student council president. Waaaah! Whatever!

    Then. College. It challenged me a lot. From summer classes to hospital duties. I have to accept it. This is my profession. These were just little sufferings, compared to the actual scene after college. Wow! Summer of 2010! From my usual summer in the province, now in the city – Manila! Made through because of our summer affiliation in National Center for Mental Health, Philippine Orthopedic Center and San Lazaro Hospital. We enjoyed living in a hotel for a month and going to malls as often as we want. I tried LRT and Divisoria too.

    Then… we are now graduating. Really? Yes! Time really flew fast. There’s no more turning back. We have to face the world. Our future! And it starts today, the summer of 2011! More likely, I will be spending more my time in reviewing for the July board. But certainly, I will try to be an escapee for summer! Hmmmm... Sounds fun!

    Now, I’m 20. Loud and vibrant. Set to make everyone’s summer hotter than ever! Am not a firework, not a dynamite but will surely cause your heart to break dance, quake your mind to magnitude 8.9, with the World-of-Vhincci experience! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy Birthday! Happy Graduation! And now, why not a Happy Summer! In 1-2-3… Booooooooooom!

    The photos feature my cousins enjoying the rush of water in the coastline of Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte - a great start for summer!


    An Entry to Skywatch Friday

    30 comments:

    JC said...

    Very nice!!! I love summer!
    Paplanuhin ko rin ang pagpunta sa Pagudpud! hehehe.

    Happy Summer indeed!

    Vhincci Subia said...

    A Happy Summer too Pepe! We all love summer, right?

    Pagudpud is a nice place! Affordable, compared to Bora...

    LV said...

    Vhincci, thank you for sharing so much of your interesting personal life. I feel I know you a little better now. You are smart young man ythat can do whatever you set your mind to. Use it wisely and enjoy your time in the summer. I am not trying to be your mother or grandmother, but I have been there and done that, so I understand the ways of life. Be careful.

    Axl Powerhouse Network said...

    i love it.. sumasummer ang pic.. ganda!!

    emmanuelmateo said...

    Awan tay En-entra?hehe nilalaro ko rin ang mga yan noong bata pa ako..lalo yung chinese garter ken kudkudisi.
    btw, where ka pala?
    paki bgay man ti fb mo ta i add ka po.

    Kim, USA said...

    Time flies so quick. Make it remarkable all the time. Happy Friday!
    Moon shots

    youth_in_asia said...

    Great summer summer narrative. The photos illustrate the innocence and pure joy of being a child in the summer. Nicely done.

    Lone wolf Milch said...

    sarap ng summer vacation at mga students lang nakakaranas niyan unlike sa mga nagtratrabaho kasi 2 weeks lang pwede magbakasyon at once a year pa.

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @LV - thanks for those words... there are a lot more experiences to follow in this blog...

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @AXL - salamat! happy summer!

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @Emman - haha! meron pero di lang nailagay, hehe! ako na lang mag-aadd sa 'yo minsan...

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @Kim - yes! happy friday to you!

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @Hardtoget - oo nga! sarap maging bata... kaya nga miss kong gawin lahat 'to, ngaun tumatanda na... hehe! at magrereview pa sa board exam...

    Vhincci Subia said...

    @Jon - i really love these photos because they showcase innocence, vulnerability, boldness and the happiness of a growing child...

    thanks! thanks! :)

    Debbie Taillieu said...

    Summer is a great time for really enjoying what God has given us.....the sky, sun, water and sand! Great post, Vhincci!
    Happy Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter!
    Debbie's Travels

    Robert Cascayan said...

    Enjoy the summer. Have a blast.

    Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

    Ayos na save mo pa yung picture mo dati ah haha

    Jag said...

    I only knew few of the games uv mentioned haha! Nice summer photos! Happy summer!

    Cynthia Froehlich said...

    Vhincci - Your blog is beautiful and inspiring!! I'm in the middle of winter here still (so it seems with all the snow!!) Reading your post was like a burst of sunshine. Thanks for sharing. Cynthia

    Diamond R said...

    sumakit ang panga ko sa english mo. Pero ang galing! damang dama ko ang excitement ng summer ang mga hiyawan at habulan ng mga bata sa kalsada.ang mga naliligo sa ilog o kaya sa beach.Ito na ang summer.Pinakamasayang taon sa mga estudyante..

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Likewise Debbie! Have a happy stay in all the places you travel!

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Thanks Rob! You too. Have not just a blast but tsunami! No, just kidding! :) Enjoy summer!

    Wait, in Hawaii ba, may summer pa? Di kaya summer buong taon? Lol!

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Hindi naman Christian... Hehe! Mga pinsan ko mga yan... Was there... for the documentation... haha! :)

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Welcome to my blog Jag! Haha! Marami pa yan! Nakakamiss maging bata no?

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Wow Cynthia! Your words made me smile... Thank you! Welcome to my blog! :)

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Diamond, :) May pain medication ako dito 'tol. Gamutin ko yang sumakit na panga mo... Hehe!

    Tama! Summer is really fun!

    Kristeta  (kalokang Pinay) said...

    Hi Vhincci... Congratulations =) Well done! And good luck on your upcoming board exams.

    I know you'll be studying for your exam but don't miss the chance to enjoy our lovely summer (that I miss so much).

    And I love Pagudpud & would love to go back again some day! I loved reading about your childhood, reminded me a lot about mine. Sarap lumaki sa province.

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Thanks Kalokang Pinay! Sarap talaga sa probinsya... :)

    Robert Cascayan said...

    Hahaha. Kaw naman, hindi pa summer dito. Spring pa lang. Sa august pa ang summer,

    Well, youre right. Parang buong taon, SUMMER. LOL

    Vhincci Subia said...

    Haha! Ganun ba... eheh! :)

    Post a Comment

     
    © January 2011 | World of Vhincci | A Nature, Travel and Photography Blog | Design by Vhincci Subia | Template by Bloggermint